Nowadays there are almost millions of different shades of lipsticks that make the lips an iconic beauty staple for women. However, we as women find it daunting to choose the right colour of lipstick to match our skin tone. Shopping for a right colour can be tricky and might be a bad match for us. Here are some tips to choose the best lipstick for your skin tone.
1. Identify Your Undertone
Undertone is where you will hear the terms cool or warm. The easiest way is to look at the color of the veins on the inside of your wrist. If your veins appear bluish, this indicates that you have a cool skin tone. Meanwhile if they appear greenish means you have a warm skin tone. If you’re unsure of your skin undertones whether it is blue or green, you most likely have a neutral skin tone and can choose from both spectrums.
2. Find a colour that is one to two shades deeper than your natural lip colour
Know which lipstick shade works best with your undertone. Apply the lipstick to your lower lip and compare that shade to your upper lip. If it is drastically different, then you need to keep searching for the right shades.
3. Decide your lips shape
Take note of whether you want to maximize or minimize your lip shape. Darker colours will actually make your lips look smaller while lighter and brighter colours makes your lips appear bigger.
4. Pick based on your skin tone
- Fair skin tone: Choose lighter shades for a soft complexion. For cool undertones, you can try soft mocha and nude. Whereas, for warm undertones, try pale pink.
- Olive skin tone: This skin tone is generally neutral. So any shade you wear you can’t go wrong. Mostly nude, pink, orange and red shades are going to look good on you.
- Medium skin tone: If you have cool undertones, try shades of pink or cranberry. But if you have warm undertones, try copper or bronze shades.
- Darker skin tones: Dark reds can make lips look gorgeous for darker complexion. For cool undertones try ruby and wine-coloured hues. For warm undertones, try copper and bronzes as it works as well.
So now you have the know-how to choose the right lipstick shade for you. Do you have a favorite lipstick?